This recipe was born out of my love for halloumi and the need to fulfill the craving one Wednesday night. Basically think of it as a zucchini lasagne, with delicious layers of cuminy tomato sauce, topped with crispy, golden halloumi and fresh basil. I am in love with this extremely quick and satisfying meal and I know you will be too!
- 2 small Punnetts of Rosa tomatoes
- 1 tin Diced tomatoes
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 4 Tbsp Cumin
- 1 small tin of Tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- 1 Tbsp Chili flakes
- 1 block of halloumi, sliced
- 14 small zucchinis
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Fresh Basil
- Halve your Rosa tomatoes and place them into a pan along with a drizzle of olive oil, your garlic, onion, chili and cumin. Until the onions and tomatoes are soft.
- To the pan add the tin of tomatoes, tomato paste, honey, salt and pepper. Stir fairly often, so the bottom doesn’t burn! Cook this for 10 minutes until the ingredients have combined well.
- Slice your Zucchini, length ways, about half a cm in thickness. Once thats done, you can begin to layer!
- Use whatever “vessel” suits you, I used a medium sized glass casserole dish. Begin with a layer of tomato sauce and layer the zucchini on top of that, repeat until you’ve filled 90% of your dish.
- Top the tomato and zucchini, with the sliced halloumi and place it under the grill to get golden and crispy!
- Serve it hot, with a few fresh leaves of basil!