This recipe was based on Tess Ward’s super delicious rendition of a mac and cheese! Keeping it a touch healthier with the use of butternut and gluten free pasta, you don’t have to feel as guilty as you tuck into this comfort food classic! I made this on a wintery night for me and my housemate Annie. After we came home from having a couple G&T’s, this mac & cheese went down way too easily (we ate the whole thing). So I hope you guys love it as much as we clearly did…and maybe manage to have a bit more will power than us!
- 250g Butternut (peeled and cut into large cubes)
- 1 Bag of Kale (Washed and prepped)
- 1 Pack of sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 Cups Milk
- 4 Tbsp Garlic Butter (Melted)
- 3 Tbsp Wholegrain Mustard
- 400g Cheddar
- 200g Parmesan Cheese
- Fresh Thyme
- 1 Tbsp dried Sage
- 1 Tsp Cayenne Pepper
- Gluten Free short pasta (like Fusilli or Macaroni)
- Preheat your oven to 190ºC
- Place your butternut on a roasting tray along with the sage, 3 sprigs of thyme (leaves removed from the stalk), cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Drizzle over the melted garlic butter and toss the butternut until its evenly coated in the spices and garlic butter.
- Roast the butternut until its golden and soft (for around 30 minutes).
- Place the butternut along with any other roasted spices into a blender with the milk, parmesan, 300g of the cheddar and mustard. Blend until smooth.
- Combine the uncooked pasta, butternut sauce halved sun-dried tomatoes and the bag of Kale and place into a casserole dish.
- Cover the dish with tinfoil and bake for 30min (or until the pasta is cooked).
- Once cooked, remove the foil and top the pasta with the remaining 100g cheddar (grated), a generous sprinkle of thyme leaves and pepper. Bake until golden and crispy!