A risotto is a thing of beauty and definitely a labour of love, cooked and stirred continuously for ages, to produce a luxurious, silky dish. I love risotto and decided to make my version, with a healthy twist. Instead of arborio rice, I use cauliflower rice in my “risotto”, keeping it low carb, gluten-free and quick to whip up, but still super delicious! Keep in mind, this dish is definitely not dairy-free, because what would risotto be without cheese?
- 400g bag of Cauliflower Rice
- 1/2 a White Onion, chopped medium-fine
- 2.5 Tbsp Crushed Garlic
- 100g of Grated Parmesan
- 200g of plain Cream Cheese
- A good grind of course Black Pepper and Sea salt
- 3 small grated Zucchinis
- 1 cup of Baby Peas
- 1/2 A lemon Zested
- 2 Tbsp Butter / Coconut Oil
- 1 cup of finely chopped Mint
- Heat up a medium sized pan to medium-high, then place in 1 Tbsp of butter/coconut oil until melted.
- Into the warm pan, place the chopped onion and garlic and sauté until translucent and fragrant.
- Into the same pan, pop in the grated zucchini, cauliflower rice and baby peas and mix until the vegetables are all evenly cooked (for about 3-4 minutes).
- Take the pan off the heat once the veg is cooked and stir through the parmesan, cream cheese, lemon zest and salt and pepper.
- Top the completed risotto with the chopped mint, some extra parmesan and enjoy!
*Feel free to add more cream cheese or parmesan to taste!