Seeing as I was horrendous at posting recipes, or anything for that matter, on my blog over my Christmas holiday, I decided that I had to make my first post of 2018 a real cracker!
This past holiday my food inspiration has mainly revolved around whole foods. Jamie Oliver’s book “5 Ingredients”, was packed with amazing whole food recipes and inspiration. I also garnered tons of amazing whole food ideas from my favorite insta-foody and blogger “No Crumbs Left”. Its fair to say I had tons of inspiration this holiday and so I decided that my first recipe back in 2018 would be my favourite “whole” recipe from the past few weeks – fishcakes. They’re super easy, extra delicious and will definitely become a weekday favourite!
Tip: make sure you’ve got your best non-stick pan ready for this one!
500g fish cooked + flaked ( I suggest pan frying)
2 large Sweet potato steamed in the microwave/roasted
3 Tbsp sesame seeds toasted
1 Tbsp lemon zest
4 Tbsp fresh finely grated ginger
4 Tbsp fresh garlic
1/2 cup of chopped coriander (medium fine chop)
2 tsp Thai Green Curry paste
- 3 Tbsp cornflour
Mango and Avocado Salsa:
- 2 ripe Avocados sliced into chunks
1 Mango sliced into similar sized chunks
1/2 a red onion finely chopped
1/2 a cup of coriander chopped (medium fine chop)
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- Start by pan frying your fish portions until cooked through.
- While your fish cools place your potatoes in the microwave or oven until cooked through and soft (cooking them in the microwave removes an excess water – don’t boil them!).
- Flake your cooled fish into a bowl and add in the grated ginger, garlic, seasoning, lemon zest and juice, sesame seeds, chopped coriander and Thai curry paste. Mix until combined, without completely destroying the form of your fish!
- Now that the potatoes have cooled, mash them until smooth and season them with salt before adding too the fish mixture.
- Now, get your hands in there and combine to form your delicious fish cake mix! (You can taste the mix and adjust the seasoning – feel free to add more or less of whatever you want!)
- Form the fishcake mix into patties and place them into the fridge to firm up for 1-2 hours.
- When ready to cook lightly cover both sides of the patty with corn flour and place into a hot, non-stick pan, with 1/2cm of oil (I like using coconut). Fry until brown.
- Once cooked through, leave them on some paper towel to remove the extra oil!
Mango and Avocado Salsa:
- Cut your avocados and mango into similar sized chunks (2cm x 2cm) and place into a bowl.
- Place the chopped coriander, red onion, lemon juice and seasoning into the bowl and lightly toss together.
- Pop the avocado pips into the bowl (to prevent browning) and place the salsa into the fridge until you’re ready to serve!
Serve these with a wedge of lemon, a crack of black pepper and a good garnishing of extra coriander ( if you are a part of the population who can appreciate how delicious it is) and enjoy!